Details at a Glance
TIME COMMITMENT: Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
LOCATION: On-site in San Salvador, El Salvador
Cristosal is looking for people passionate about human rights who want to travel and learn with our team in El Salvador. This opportunity is opening for Summer 2022 between June and August with a one-month minimum commitment. This is a critical moment in Salvadoran democracy and a time to show that international solidarity stands with human rights defenders.
Ideal candidates have an interest in human rights, Central America, Cristosal, and solidarity. If you are both flexible and curious, willing to learn and teach as well as spread the word about human rights and the work of Cristosal- you would be perfect!
The skills you might put to use could include storytelling, photography, creating educational materials, self-care training, research, and all-around willingness to support various activities in the day-to-day work of defending human rights. Depending on your responsibilities, your time commitment would be 20-30 hours a week.
This is a one-of-a-kind opportunity to learn alongside the leading regional human rights organization in Central America. By spending time with the Cristosal team in El Salvador you will help show that the international community stands in solidarity with human rights defenders, journalists, and social justice advocates. Your experience in Central America will help you be a better advocate for human rights wherever you live and work in the world.
The volunteer is responsible for covering all living expenses including airfare, housing, food, and transportation. Cristosal staff can help orient you to options. Cristosal will provide you with orientation to the country, mentoring support, learning opportunities, and transportation for work-related activities.
- Travel to El Salvador and commit to 1-3 months of service during the months of June- August 2022
- Financial means to cover your expenses during the time you are in El Salvador
- Fill out interest and application forms
- Send 2 letters of recommendation and a personal statement of interest
- Intermediate to Advanced Spanish
- Show you have health insurance that will cover you in El Salvador
- Commit to fulfilling a fundraising/awareness-raising plan during and after your time in El Salvador
- Commit to respecting Cristosal’s security and confidentiality policies