What is Cristosal's mission?
Cristosal’s mission is to promote human rights in Central America through rights-based programming, research, and learning. We believe that every human being is inherently equal in rights and dignity. We adopt a human rights approach to all of our work, guided by internationally recognized human rights principles and standards.
Is Cristosal a non-profit organization?
Cristosal is a non-governmental organization with 501 (c) (3) non-profit status in the United States.
Where is Cristosal based?
Cristosal is based in El Salvador and also works in Guatemala, and Honduras. Cristosal also has staff in the United States.
What are Cristosal's programs?
- Education: Educates at the regional level in Human Rights and trains leaders in Human Rights
- Investigation: Generates evidence and data regarding Human Rights issues
- Protection: Promotes the empowerment of victims in need of protection and violation of human rights through comprehensive support and community development.
- Litigation: It affects and establishes precedents in the judicial and administrative system in matters of human rights, democracy and the rule of law.
Who does Cristosal work for?
Cristosal works on behalf of current and historical victims of human rights violations in Central America.
Where do Cristosal's funds come from?
Cristosal receives programmatic grant funds from the United States Agency for International Development, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, Open Society Foundations, CAMMINA, and others.
We depend on unlimited donations from individuals and religious communities, including the Universalist Unitary Service Committee and many Episcopal parishes and dioceses, to fund our core operations. This funding is crucial to keeping us independent from a single funding source. It enables us to respond quickly to crises as they arise.
How can I get involved?
- Become a Defender of Cristosal. Join our 5-week online training course. Join our next 5-week online training course..
- Participate in the Global School Come to El Salvador to receive a course on human rights!
- Support us financially.. Your donations allow us to stay innovative and independent.